Wednesday, September 2, 2009

GNOWFGLINS

Just wanted to highlight a helpful blog that I ran across. Lots of great info here! I was looking for instructions on how to cook a whole chicken and found lots of other helpful articles as well.

Yep--you read that sentence above correctly. I am delving into the world of whole chickens today. I have been a diehard frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts only girl for quite a while. And if you've read any of my "about me" lists, you know that chicken grosses me out.

But I'm going for it. I bought a whole grass-fed organic chicken yesterday and I'm about to throw it in the crockpot. This may seem like no big deal--most of you probably do this often. But I cannot stress enough how out of my comfort zone this takes me. I don't normally beg for comments, but I'm making an exception.

If this is your normal way of interacting with poultry, please let me know your recommendations, tips, and warnings. I have already been told about the little bag inside the chicken (thanks, Kathy!) Who knew? But what else? I'm not kidding, guys. Help a girl out.

6 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh because I was in your exact situation a few years ago. I've only done a whole chicken a few times since then, but they never have turned out that flavorful and have always been rather "meh."

    I've read you should put your spices (or marinade or whatever) under the skin as well as on top and to also put some inside the bird. After you take out the nasty bag o' guts first, of course.

    Let us know how yours turns out. If it's good, I might try another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny!! I've done lots of turkeys this way...never a chicken. I rub them with olive oil and sprinkle seasoning on them. Do you have any oven bags? They're helpful. I typically just follow their time recommendations.

    I haven't done one in awhile, but this may motivate me to get one cooking again:)

    Sorry for the lack of advice! Hope it goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All raw meat grosses me out. I'm no help, since my family gets meat at home maybe three times per month. I'd like to know how it goes for you.

    Oh, and, I thought about you the other morning. Brian was eating cereal and I nearly got up and left. j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It went better than I thought it would--a little gross but no gagging. i just wish quality meat was more affordable!

    and I'm so glad to hear that we are kindred spirits with regards to cereal now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we buy whole chickens, every now and then, from the agriculture uni. here in Lima. one time as the butcher was cleaning out the insides for me, out came an EGG!!!! :) can't remember if my response was, "ICK" or, "hey that's kind of cool!" :) it was just off having an egg who's shell was not hard and it hadn't been hard boiled....
    I usually just boil my whole chks. and make stock from them, then I make curry. otherwise, i just start whacking the heck out of the poor bird, into more manageable pieces. i don't think it makes one a better cook just because they can do a bunch of fancy stuff with a whole chk. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking to GNOWFGLINS. :) I think you'll really, really like the chicken. Doing it this way is such a no-brainer and it turns out fantastic every time.

    ReplyDelete