Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fowl Play



Carcasses are just gross. My friend Jodie is a vegetarian and pictures like this make it easy to understand her choice.

But for my first experience with chicken that did not involve a 5 lb. bag labeled "Tyson," I think it went pretty well.

Just look at what a natural I am.



Is that like the scariest picture ever or what? Is my posture always that bad? But I wanted photographic evidence that it was my hands in that greasy mess. As Asher would say, "I did it by self!"

I went the crockpot way. I chopped up some onion, salt and peppered the chicken, and threw it in on high for an hour and then on low for about 6 more hours. Fall of the bone tender it was.

Then I pulled all the meat off and put the skin and bones and liquid and various other parts in a separate container. The next day, I made stock with it!



It's not really that dark--I think the flash makes it appear that way. Again, all I had was onion so I chopped that and added some garlic and maybe 4 more cups of water. I boiled it then simmered for around 4 hours. Then I strained it and put it in glass jars. I think I got about 12 cups out of it.

I made New Poppy Seed Chicken, chicken salad, and bbq chicken sandwiches.

Cooking a whole chicken: just one more thing to add to the "if I can do it, I promise, anyone can" list.

4 comments:

  1. This is very impressive. But I have to say that after looking at this and then reading about and seeing photos of all the poultry slaughter over at Amy's Humble Musings, I might be joining the husband and kids sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's definitely not pretty. but it is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it looks pretty disgusting. I also get grossed out with chicken- just not as much as you do. =) But I am impressed by your cooking skills- homemade broth might get you your own cooking show (in my opinion) or at least an A+ for effort. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is indeed a very good reason to be a vegetarian. Jodey

    ReplyDelete